Emerging Scientist Competition
The Emerging Scientist competitors must not have completed their last degree more than one year prior to July 1 of the year they participate. If an academic rank is held, it can be no higher than Assistant Professor.
- The participant must be senior author of the competition paper and must not have placed in the top three in any previous AFGC Emerging Scientist Oral competitions.
- B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. students' graduates are eligible to participate.
- Nominations must be made by a current professor.
- Nominees who are not selected to participate in the oral competition will be given the option to participate in the poster competition.
2021 AFGC Emerging Scientist Sponsor:
1. Russell Carrell, Auburn University
2. Jordan Cox-O'Neill, North Carolina State University
1. Shelby Gruss, Purdue University
2. Kaylyn Groce, University of Georgia
3. Katie Mason, Auburn University
Sarah Shoup, Auburn University
Sarah Jane Thomsen, Virginia
1. Eric Billman, Mississippi State
2. Morgan Pyles, UK
3. Michelle DeBoer, Univ of Minnesota
1. Devan Catalano, Univ of Minnesota
2. AnnMarie Riley, UK
3. Veronica Bill, UK
2017 Oral Competition Winners:
1st Place--Deidra Harmon
2nd Place--Paige Smart
3rd Place--Gabe Pent
2017 Poster Competition Winners:
1st Place--Kelly Mercier, Virginia Tech
2nd Place--Smriti Pehim Limbu, North Carolina State University
3rd Place--Taylor Hendricks, University of Georgia